[MaFLa] reminder:invitation to a talk on`The Value of Suffering`by Michael Brady - 3 November, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14/412

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.edu
Mon Nov 2 09:48:24 CET 2015

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Michael Brady (University of Glasgow)
on
The Value of Suffering

Tuesday, 3 November 2015, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT

Pain and suffering are both widespread and varied: think of all of the very many kinds of pain, emotional distress, physical discomfort, and mental anguish that human beings experience. It is, moreover, widely agreed that all of these different forms of suffering are bad: we have reason to avoid, alleviate, and reduce our own pain and suffering, and that of others. However, suffering can also be valuable, and in many different ways. In this talk I’ll explain some of the ways in which pain and suffering can be good for us, and for others

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator

Central European University