[MaFLa] invitation to two talks by Miranda Fricker on`Constructions of Forgiveness` and by Annalisa Coliva on`The varieties of self-knowledge` - February 2 and February 5, Zrinyi 14/412 5.30 PM

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.edu
Tue Jan 26 17:33:26 CET 2016

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to two talks
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)

by
Miranda Fricker (University of Sheffield)
on
Constructions of Forgiveness

Tuesday, 2 February 2016, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT
Forgiveness takes place in time. Obviously. But I shall explore the temporally extended nature of forgiveness with two particular aims in mind. First, the aim of explaining how forgiveness that must be earned through the culprit’s remorse is of the same moral genus as forgiveness whose distinct value resides precisely in the fact that the culprit has done nothing whatever to earn it. And second, the aim of explaining how acts of forgiveness can be acts of social construction, both in relation to the wrongdoer and in relation to the forgiver. Moreover, once we have these constructive mechanisms clearly in view, we are in a position to explain how certain deformations or corruptions of either kind of forgiveness are the result of their intrinsic proneness to such corruptions.

AND

by
Annalisa Coliva (University of Modena)
on
The varieties of self-knowledge

Friday!!!!!!!! 5 February 2016, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT
In the talk it is argued that we should be pluralists about self-knowledge. What that means is, first, that we should acknowledge that there are cases of genuinely first-personal, as well as of third-personal self-knowledge. Second,that the latter depend on the application of a variety of epistemic methods. Third, that the correct account of the former, in fact, should dispense with any substantial epistemology and embrace constitutivism. Finally, the latter has different sources depending on the kind of mental state at issue.

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator

Central European University