[MaFLa] invitation to two talks on`The error in non-cognitivism and the truth in the error theory`on March 1 and on `Assertion, Silence, and the norms of public` on March 2

Krisztina Biber biberk at ceu.edu
Wed Feb 24 07:47:09 CET 2016

 The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to two talks
 (as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
 by
 Bart Streumer (University of Groningen) on
 The error in non-cognitivism and the truth in the error theory

 Tuesday, 1 March 2016, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

 ABSTRACT
 In this talk, I will compare two versions of irrealism about
normativity: non-cognitivism, according to which normative judgements do
not represent the world, and the error theory, according to which
normative judgements do represent the world but always do so
inaccurately. I will argue that non-cognitivism is incompatible with the
thought that when two people make conflicting normative judgements, at
most one of these judgements is correct. By contrast, I will argue, the
error theory is compatible with this thought. I will conclude that the
error theory is more defensible than non-cognitivism.

 AND

 by
 Sanford Goldberg (Northwestern University) on

 Assertion, Silence, and the norms of public

 Wednesday, 2 March 2016, 3.30 PM, Monument building
 (Nador 9) room 203

 ABSTRACT
 In this talk I argue that there is a presumptive (albeit defeasible)
entitlement for participants in a conversation to assume that a hearer’s
silence in the face of an observed assertion indicates acceptance.  I
argue for this on the basis of considerations pertaining to our actual
practices with assertion, together with considerations pertaining to the
normative dimensions of that practice (deriving from Stalnaker’s account
of the "essential effect" of assertion).  One result of my thesis is
that in contexts in which a hearer is known or observed to have observed
an assertion, she is under prima facie normative pressure, if she
rejects the assertion, to signal having done so.  After defending these
claims, I address the variety of contexts in which the entitlement
itself is defeated (including but not limited to conditions of
"silencing").

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator