[MaFLa] invitation to a talk on `The dynamic present of experience` by Giuliano Torrengo - Tuesday, 15 November, 5.30 PM, Nádor 15, Room 103

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.edu
Wed Nov 9 10:14:52 CET 2016

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Giuliano Torrengo (Università degli Studi di Milano)
on
The dynamic present of experience

Tuesday, 15 November 2016, 5.30 PM, Nádor 15, Room 103

ABSTRACT
As far as our experience goes, we live in a dynamic present. Those two phenomenal features of experience -- presentness and dynamism -- are obviously connected. However,  how they are connected is not obvious at all. In this talk, I criticize the view according to which the former can explain the latter, which I call  Sophisticated Representationalism. My criticism will be based on the distinction between the perspectival aspect of tenses and the dynamic aspect of tenses. I take the distinction to be of independent interest not only for philosophy of mind, but also for metaphysics. The criticism is meant to provide indirect evidence for an alternative account of the sensation of the passage of time -- the Phenomenal Modifier view -- which I will only sketch here.

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator
[cid:OVEDYNFBBWLB.IMAGE1.img]
Central European University
Nador u. 9. | 1051 Budapest, Hungary
Office: + 36.1.327.3806[resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png]
biberk at ceu.edu<mailto:biberk at ceu.edu> | www.ceu.edu<http://www.ceu.edu>