[MaFLa] invitation to two talks on `Melding Minds with Colleagues` and on `Realism, pluralism and assessing truth across scientific perspectives` - 29 and 30 November, 5.30 PM Nádor 15, Room 103

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.edu
Tue Nov 22 17:53:05 CET 2016

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to two  talks
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
MARK SPREVAK (University of Edinburgh)
on
Melding Minds with Colleagues
Tuesday, 29 November 2016, 5.30 PM, Nádor 15, Room 103

ABSTRACT

The extended mind hypothesis (EM) claims that some of our mental states/processes extend outside our heads and into objects in our environment. To date, attention has focused on mental extension into otherwise non-mental artefacts (notebooks, diaries, iPhones). However, arguments for EM appear to support extension, not only into non-mental artefacts, but also into the minds of other people. Cognitive resources inside the head of your close colleagues appear, by the standards of EM, to be just as apt, if not more apt, to part of the realisation base of your mental life as anything going on inside your iPhone. In this paper, I examine whether and how arguments for EM -- arguments tailored for our relation to non-mental artefacts -- generalise to supporting extending our minds into the minds of others.

by
MICHELA MASSIMI (University of Edinburgh)
on
Realism, pluralism and assessing truth across scientific perspectives
Wednesday, 30 November!!!!!! 2016, 5.30 PM, Nádor 15, Room 103

ABSTRACT

In this paper, I assess recent claims in philosophy of science about scientific perspectivism being compatible with realism. I clarify the rationale for perspectival realism and the challenges it faces in striking a middle ground in between realism and epistemic pluralism. I focus on how knowledge claims can be regarded as true across different scientific perspectives, and I propose a new way of thinking about truth across scientific perspectives that in my view can deliver on the promise of realism while also being sensitive to epistemic pluralism.

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator
[cid:OVEDYNFBBWLB.IMAGE1.img]