[MaFLa] Fwd: Inaugural lecture for the series “The Human and the Sciences of Nature: Chinese and Comparative Perspectives”, 19 January, CEU

Zsuzsanna Balogh baloghzsphil at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 09:39:30 CET 2017

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to the inaugural
lecture of its "The Human and the Sciences of Nature: Chinese and
Comparative Perspectives" series entitled

*Body and Mind: *

*Scientific Approaches to the Concept of the Human in Early China*

by* Edward G. Slingerland *

(University of British Columbia)

at 4 p.m. on 19 January 2017 at CEU, 1051 Budapest, Nádor u. 9.,

Monument Building, Popper Room (102)

The purpose of the lecture series is to bring prominent Sinologists to CEU
to speak about a topic that has come to the forefront of scholarly
discussion, not only in philosophy but in the study of humanities more
generally: namely, what is it that makes humans human? The Lecture Series
confronts this topic historically, exploring how and why the “the human” –
as both a natural and ethical category – emerged in the early Chinese
tradition and developed over the course of subsequent centuries. Its more
specific research goal is to probe more precisely, but also more deeply,
the way in which forms of human understanding that we conventionally refer
to as “scientific” are linked to other domains in our thinking –
particularly the ethical, the social and the political – and how these
domains come together in our conception of who, and what, we are as human
beings.

https://philosophy.ceu.edu/events/2017-01-19/body-and-mind-scientific-approaches-concept-human-early-china

This series is sponsored by a Lecture Series Grant from the *Chiang
Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange* (CCKF) in Taiwan.

Curie Virág
Visiting Professor
Department of Philosophy
Department of Medieval Studies
visvirag at ceu.edu

For more information, please contact Zsuzsanna Balogh (coordinator) at
baloghzs at ceu.edu.