[MaFLa] reminder: invitation to a philosophy talk on `Predictive coding, neo-Kantianism, and transcendental idealism` by Dan Zahavi - Tuesday, 24 January, 5.30 PM, Nádor 15, Room 103

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.edu
Mon Jan 23 10:40:19 CET 2017

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Dan Zahavi (University of Copenhagen)
on

Predictive coding, neo-Kantianism, and transcendental idealism

Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 5.30 PM, Nádor 15, Room 103

ABSTRACT

Recently, a number of neuroscientists and philosophers have taken the so-called prediction error minimization theory to support a form of radical neuro-representationalism, according to which the content of our conscious experiences is a neural construct, a brain-generated simulation. There is remarkable similarity between this account and ideas found in and developed by German neo-Kantians in the mid-19th century. Even more importantly, some neo-Kantians eventually came to have serious doubts about the cogency and internal consistency of the model. In my talk, I argue that this criticism has implications for our assessment of the contemporary theory as well.

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator
[cid:OVEDYNFBBWLB.IMAGE1.img]
Central European University
Nador u. 9. | 1051 Budapest, Hungary
Office: + 36.1.327.3806[resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png]
biberk at ceu.edu<mailto:biberk at ceu.edu> | www.ceu.edu<http://www.ceu.edu>