[MaFLa] (!!!) CORRECTED TIME: MAP (Minorities in Philosophy) Lunchtime Talk

Zsofia Jeney-Domingues Jeney-DominguesZs at ceu.edu
Mon Mar 12 13:32:24 CET 2018

The MAP (Minorities and Philosophy) initiative at the CEU Department of Philosophy  cordially invites you to a lunchtime talk by
Esa Diaz-Leon
(University of Barcelona)
 on 13th of March, h 12:30-13:40, at Nádor street 13/ Room 223

on

What should count as a substantive metaphysical debate?
Abstract: In this paper I aim to discuss several proposals about the meta-metaphysics of gender and race, that is, proposals about what debates in the metaphysics of gender and race are really about. In particular, I will examine several claims about what makes a dispute in metaphysics a genuine or substantive dispute, as opposed to a non-substantive one, and I will argue, first, that these claims have the consequence that certain debates about the nature of gender and race would count as non-substantive disputes, and second, that this is problematic, and hence we have reasons to revise our use of the label "substantive metaphysical debate" in a way so that it includes those debates about the nature of gender and race. That is to say, my main claim in this paper belongs to what has been called an ameliorative project, or a project in conceptual ethics, that is, a project about what terms and concepts we ought to use, as opposed to the so-called descriptive project of finding out what our terms actually mean. In addition, I will suggest that we could understand debates about the existence and nature of gender and race in terms of disputes about how we actually use or should use gender and racial terms, and that normative considerations, including moral and political considerations, could be relevant with regards to both kinds of disputes.
Please send your RSVP to: Zsófi Jeney-Domingues (jeney-domingueszs at ceu.edu<mailto:jeney-domingueszs at ceu.edu>)
We look forward to seeing you there!
Best Wishes,
CEU MAP