[MaFLa] Creativity, Music, and the Science of Being Fully Human by Erica Brindley - CEU Budapest, 20 April 2018

Zsofia Jeney-Domingues Jeney-DominguesZs at ceu.edu
Mon Apr 16 11:21:35 CEST 2018

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to the next talk of the  "The Human and the Sciences of Nature: Chinese and Comparative Perspectives"<https://philosophy.ceu.edu/node/795>lecture series, entitled
Creativity, Music, and the Science of Being Fully Human

by
ERIKA BRINDLEY
Professor of Asian Studies, History and Philosophy, Pennsylvania State University College of the Liberal Arts.

20 APRIL, 5:30 p.m. | N9 MONUMENT BUILDING, GELLNER ROOM (1055 BUDAPEST NÁDOR STREET 9.)

 Abstract | In Chinese philosophy, self-cultivation ideologies usually exist within an elaborate web of ideas concerning the limits of the human and the proper interfaces among individuals, family, community, state, and the cosmos. Two main orientations on human potential incorporate nature and the cosmos in distinct ways: in ways that shape, train, and extend our natures, and in ways that urge us to revert back to our natures. In this talk, I will make use of ancient Chinese texts and excavated manuscripts to explore the science of creativity and the science of musical appreciation in early Chinese thought. I show how these regimens rely on different assumptions about nature but share the crucial goal of embodying and expressing nature in our everyday lives.

Bio |  Erika Brindley is an intellectual and cultural historian of early China (500 BC to 200 AD). She works on philosophical and religious texts, cultural norms, and political cultures of the pre-imperial period and Qin-Han empires. She is also interested in the history of identity and cross-cultural interactions between the sinitic cultures of the North and their southern neighbors along the East Asian coast.

THE LECTURE IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC AND FREE OF CHARGE BUT EMAIL REGISTRATION IS REQUESTED.  RSVP TO HSNCCP.PROJECT at CEU.EDU<mailto:HSNCCP.PROJECT at CEU.EDU>