[MaFLa] invitation to a philosophy talk by David Papineau on `The Structure of Substances: Why Some Properties are Essential` - Thursday, 27 September, 5.30 PM, N15/101

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.edu
Tue Sep 18 08:39:36 CEST 2018

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
David Papineau
(King's College London, City University of New York Graduate Center)

on
The Structure of Substances:
Why Some Properties are Essential

Thursday, 27 September, 2018, 5.30 PM, Nádor 15, Room 101

ABSTRACT

Many philosophers distinguish between the essential and accidental properties of people, animals, artefacts, species, chemical substances and other things. Other philosophers dismiss this distinction as arbitrary and groundless. I shall explain how substances are items whose instances share many properties, and how any such substance must have one super-explanatory property that accounts for this multiple sharing of other properties. I then argue that essential properties are just those properties that are super-explanatory."

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator
[cid:OVEDYNFBBWLB.IMAGE1.img]
Central European University
Nador u. 9. | 1051 Budapest, Hungary
Office: + 36.1.327.3806[resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png]
biberk at ceu.edu<mailto:biberk at ceu.edu> | www.ceu.edu<http://www.ceu.edu>