[MaFLa] invitation to a philosophy talk on `Against Perceptual Beliefs` by Bence Nanay - Tuesday, 9 October, 3.30 PM, Nádor 15, Room 103

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.edu
Tue Oct 2 17:07:22 CEST 2018

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Bence Nanay (University of Antwerp, University of Cambridge)<http://uahost.uantwerpen.be/bence.nanay/>
on
Against Perceptual Beliefs
Tuesday, 9 October, 2018, 3.30 PM, Nádor 15, Room 103

ABSTRACT

You are looking at a red apple. Your perceptual state gives rise to a perceptual belief that the object in front of you is red. Further, your perceptual state justifies your perceptual belief. This is the standard story about perceptual justification, which is understood as a relation between perceptual states and perceptual beliefs. The aim of this paper is to investigate one of these two relata of perceptual justification: that of perceptual belief. I argue that there is no unproblematic way of delineating perceptual beliefs from non-perceptual beliefs. Luckily, we don't need a distinctive category of perceptual belief in order to make sense of perceptual justification. Theories of perceptual justification have focused too much on perceptual beliefs as the gateway from perception to belief. My aim is to shift the discussion of perceptual justification away from to problematic concept of perceptual belief and towards the more straightforward relation between perceptual states and beliefs (perceptual or non-perceptual).

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator
[cid:OVEDYNFBBWLB.IMAGE1.img]
Central European University
Nador u. 9. | 1051 Budapest, Hungary
Office: + 36.1.327.3806[resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png]
biberk at ceu.edu<mailto:biberk at ceu.edu> | www.ceu.edu<http://www.ceu.edu>