[MaFLa] Fwd: Adolf Grunbaum

Laszlo E. Szabo laszlo.e.szabo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 22:33:49 CET 2018

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Adolf Grunbaum
Date: Monday, November 19, 2018, 3:57:06 PM CET
From: Center for Philosophy of Science <cjo13 at pitt.edu>
To: laszlo.e.szabo at gmail.com

Adolf Grünbaum (1923-2018)
It is with great sadness we report that our colleague and founder Adolf
Grünbaum died on November 15, 2018.

View Adolf's obituary here.

View this email in your browser

Dear Center Fellow,

The Center for Philosophy of Science reports with great sadness that our
colleague Adolf Grünbaum died on November 15, 2018.

Adolf (1923-2018) was a leading philosopher of physics and his work on space
and time are classics in the philosophy of physics. He is also famous for his
defense of atheism and his criticism of psychoanalysis. He was hired by Pitt
from Lehigh in 1960 as Andrew Mellon Professor of Philosophy; he built the
Departments of Philosophy and History and Philosophy of Science.  He then
created the Center for Philosophy of Science (at the time "Philosophy of
Science Program"). He remained the Director of the Center until 1978 before
becoming its Chairman (and then its co-Chairman with Nick Rescher).

Many of you have interacted with Adolf in the past, and you might enjoy John
D. Norton’s presentation of two of Adolf’s most recent talks at the Center
here and here.  You will also like this page featuring some pictures of the
young Adolf at Pitt.

If you have never met Adolf, see his Wikipedia page and the obituary in the
Pittsburgh Post Gazette may be informative.

We have been asked not to send gifts or flowers to Adolf’s house since it is
now unoccupied.

We are forever grateful for Adolf’s contribution to the philosophy of science,
the philosophy at Pitt, and the Center for Philosophy of Science.

Sincerely,

Edouard

Center for Philosophy of Science
University of Pittsburgh
1117 Cathedral of Learning
Phone: 412-624-1052
Fax: 412-624-3895
Email: pittcntr at pitt.edu

This email was sent to laszlo.e.szabo at gmail.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription
preferences
Center for Philosophy of Science · 4500 Fifth Ave · 817 Cathedral of Learning
· Pittsburgh, Pa 15260 · USA

--
L a s z l o  E.  S z a b o
Professor of Philosophy