[MaFLa] CEU Summer University courses in philosophy - application deadline approaching

sunweb Sunweb at ceu.edu
Mon Feb 4 15:42:48 CET 2019

Apply by Feb 14, 2019 for CEU summer courses in philosophy: 1) Cognitive Phenomenology" and 2) "The Morality of Discrimination" to be held in Budapest. CEU Summer University invites applications from graduate students, postdocs and junior faculty and researchers. Tuition waivers are available.
See course details below.
Cognitive Phenomenology - https://summeruniversity.ceu.edu/phenomenology-2019
JULY 8 - JULY 17, 2019 BUDAPEST, HUNGARY
COURSE DIRECTOR: David Pitt (California State University, Los Angeles, USA)
FACULTY: Marta Jorba (University of the Basque Country, Spain); Angela Mendelovici (University of Western Ontario, Canada); Michelle Montague (University of Texas at Austin, USA); Howard Robinson (Central European University, Hungary); Charles Siewert (Rice University, USA); Declan Smithies (Ohio State University, USA),
Topics to be covered in the course include: arguments for the existence of cognitive phenomenology; skepticism about cognitive phenomenology; the significance of cognitive phenomenology; the integration of cognitive experience with sensory experience; the relation of thought experience to the experience of belief, desire, hope, etc.; the temporality of thought; the epistemic role of consciousness; the epistemic and rational roles of cognitive experience; the problem of unconscious thought; mainstream externalism about mental content; singular thought; the "Phenomenal Intentionality" research program; and the relation of current work in analytic phenomenology to traditional, Husserlian  Phenomenology.
The Morality of Discrimination - https://summeruniversity.ceu.edu/morality-2019
JULY 1 - 5, 2019, BUDAPEST, HUNGARY
COURSE DIRECTORS: Andres Moles (Central European University, Budapest, Hungary) and Tom Parr (University of Essex, UK)
FACULTY: Désirée Lim (The Pennsylvania State University, USA); Kasper Lippert-Rasmussen (Aarhus Universitat, Denmark); Andrew Mason (The University of Warwick, UK); Gina Schouten (Harvard University, USA)
This one-week course will have three parts. First, we will spend one day surveying competing accounts of the wrongness of discrimination so as to familiarise students with existing debates in the philosophical literature. Second, we will spend two days investigating more controversial aspects of discrimination, focusing on discrimination in our private lives and on appearance-based discrimination. Third, we will spend two days evaluating various policy responses to wrongful discrimination, exploring the justifiability of affirmative action and of various policy responses to gender discrimination and the gendered division of labour.
This course has two distinctive merits. The first is that we will expose students to cutting-edge research from an assembly of world-class philosophers of the morality of discrimination. The second is that we address issues of enormous political concern, and so we will equip students with the transferable analytical skills to scrutinise policies that emerge in this domain.

CEU Summer University
Nador utca 9
1051 Budapest
HUNGARY