[MaFLa] invitation to a philosophy talk on `Against Romanticism. On the value and disvalue of creative imagination in the arts and in the sciences` - Tuesday, 19 March, 3.30 PM, Nádor 15, Room 103

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.edu
Tue Mar 12 16:34:50 CET 2019

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Alison Hills (University of Oxford) and Alexander Bird (King's College London)
on
Against Romanticism.  On the value and disvalue of creative imagination in the arts and in the sciences

Tuesday, 19 March, 2019, 3.30 PM, Nádor 15, Room 103

ABSTRACT
In this essay we examine the following claims, which we dub 'Romanticism': (I) The process of artistic or scientific creation is an exercise of the imagination. In a creative process more imagination is always better, both as regards quantity-producing a greater number of new ideas; and as regards degree-producing ideas of greater imaginativeness.  (II) The process of evaluation of artistic or scientific works is not a creative process and does not require the imagination at all.  We reject both claims.  Creative work in the sciences and in the arts is not always improved by greater use of the imagination, either in terms of quantity or degree. Nor is evaluation utterly uncreative as it too can require use of the imagination. So we will see that when the imagination is valuable, its value is not always where the romantics held it to be.  Our arguments for these claims also lead to the conclusion that unconstrained imagination is not better than imagination directed by appropriate models or traditions.

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator
[cid:OVEDYNFBBWLB.IMAGE1.img]
Central European University
Nador u. 9. | 1051 Budapest, Hungary
Office: + 36.1.327.3806[resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png]
biberk at ceu.edu<mailto:biberk at ceu.edu> | www.ceu.edu<http://www.ceu.edu>