[MaFLa] Szept27 workshop a BME-n Alberto Voltolinivel: Fictional Creatures, Mythical Creatures

Zsofia Zvolenszky zvolenszky at nyu.edu
Tue Sep 24 12:05:50 CEST 2019

Kedves Kollégák, Szeretettel várunk mindenkit az alábbi (mellékletben is)
workshopra e héten. Üdvözlettel,

Zvolenszky Zsófia

Z s ó f i a   Z v o l e n s z k y
http://phil.elte.hu/zvolenszky

full professor, department chair

Department of Logic, Institute of Philosophy, Eötvös Loránd University
(ELTE), Budapest
-----------

The Department of Sociology and Communication, Budapest University of
Technology and Economics (BME), Budapest, Hungary, and

 The Budapest Workshop for Language in Action, Department of Logic,
Institute of Philosophy, Eötvös University (ELTE), Budapest, Hungary

announce their upcoming workshop in the *Action and Context *series:

with Alberto Voltolini

University of Turin, Italy

Fictional creatures, Mythical creatures

Venue: Department of Sociology and Communication, Budapest University of
Technology and Economics (BME), 1111 Budapest, Egry József Street 1.
Building E, Room 704.

Time: 9 a.m. on Friday, September 27, 2019

Schedule:

9:00Alberto Voltolini’s talk: We might not have met Zeus, yet we could have
landed on Vulcan: Against Mythical Backcreationism

10:30 Zsófia Zvolenszky: Reply to Alberto Voltolini

11:00—12:00General discussion on fictional objects, post-empirical posits,
and Voltolini’s weak mythical creationism

Discussants:

Tibor Bárány, BME, ELTE

Áron Dombrovszki, ELTE

Szilvia Finta, Saint Paul Academy, ELTE

Zsolt Kapelner, CEU, ELTE

Miklós Márton, ELTE

Zsófia Zvolenszky, ELTE

Alberto Voltolini’s abstract:

*We might not have met Zeus, yet we could have landed on Vulcan: Against
Mythical Backcreationism*

In this talk I defend *weak*mythical creationism, which lies between
*straightforward*mythical creationism, the position holding that *all*mythical
entities – kinds of fictional entities that are not recognized as such by
their purported authors, for they entertain no relevant act of make-believe
– are on a par in their being created by their purported authors (Salmon
2002, Braun 2005, Zvolenszky 2016), and mythical *anti*creationism, which
may acknowledge that mythical entities are *abstracta*, yet it denies that
they are artefactual creations. Now, there is a grain of truth in Goodman’s
(2014) aversion to straightforward mythical creationism. Yet not only this
grain has not to do with the problem of ascribing to such entities
*inadvertent *(i.e., nonintentional) *creation*, asGoodman himself (2017)
acknowledges, since this form of creation (Zvolenszky 2016) may properly
affect both fictional and standard mythical entities, *legendary entities*.
But also, it regards only those nonstandard mythical entities for which
Kripke himself (2013) said that they are mythical just in a *metaphorical*
sense: *post-empirical posits*. For, unlike both fictional and legendary
entities, a post-empirical posit is created only *later*by an audience;
namely, once what the *merely*purported author originally thinks of, which
instead is *a concrete entity that is merely possible*, is no longer
attended to by that audience. Thus, in defending creationism both for
legendary entities and for post-empirical posits, weak creationism rejects
the form of mythical*backcreationism*that straightforward mythical
creationism entails. I label it backcreationism, for according to it those
who actually did not author post-empirical posits, their merely purported
authors, are nevertheless their creators. For mythical backcreationism,
such people inadvertently create the fictional entity that for me is
created only later by a subsequent audience.

Organizers: Tibor Bárány, Zsófia Zvolenszky, Áron Dombrovszki