[MaFLa] Terrestrial Ethics, MAX HAYWARD (University of Sheffield) - 04/02/2020

Zsofia Jeney-Domingues Jeney-DominguesZs at ceu.edu
Fri Jan 31 14:32:59 CET 2020

The Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to

MAX HAYWARD's (University of Sheffield) talk

on
Terrestrial Ethics

Tuesday, 4 February 2020 3:30 PM, CEU Nádor u. 15. Room 103.

ABSTARCT
Some philosophers think it would be tremendously sad - as Derek Parfit wrote, "a tragedy" - if ethics were merely a natural, human, contingent, emotionally-driven phenomenon. Following Nomy Arpaly, I call these philosophers "celestials". They think that ethics would somehow be more legitimate or significant if its claims were grounded in mind-independent truths, if they were objective in some transcendental sense, or if they had the sanction of pure reason. My goal is to defuse the fears that animate this view. Nothing of significance would be lost if the aspirations of celestials were not realised, if ethics turned out to be "merely" terrestrial.