[MaFLa] invitation to a philosophy talk on `Value, Intelligibility, and Meaning in Life `by Iddo Landau - Tuesday, 11 February, 3:30 PM - N15 / 103

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.edu
Thu Feb 6 09:02:37 CET 2020

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Iddo Landau
(University of Haifa)
on
Value, Intelligibility, and Meaning in Life
Tuesday, 11 February, 3:30 PM - 5:10 PM
N15 building - room 103
ABSTRACT

Most modern analytic discussions have taken value to determine meaning in life (the meaning of individual lives) and meaning of life (the meaning of the existence of life in general, or of humanity). Recently, however, it has been argued that intelligibility, rather than value, determines meaning. In this paper I examine three intelligibility accounts of meaning in/of life and explain why I think that they should not be accepted. To do so, I also discuss the relation between meaning and morality, the relation between meaning in life and objective well-being, and the relation between meaning in life and meaning of life.

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator
[cid:OVEDYNFBBWLB.IMAGE1.img]
Central European University
Nador u. 9. | 1051 Budapest, Hungary
Quellenstraße 51-55  | 1100 Vienna, Austria
Office: + 36.1.327.3806[resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png]
biberk at ceu.edu<mailto:biberk at ceu.edu> | www.ceu.edu<http://www.ceu.edu/>