[MaFLa] Invitation: Kant's Vocabulary and the Question of Non-conceptual Content - Wednesday, 3 February, 2021; 11:00 a.m. CET – online

Istvan Bodnar Bodnari at ceu.edu
Wed Jan 27 18:03:48 CET 2021

The Institute for Advanced Study at CEU is pleased to invite you to its next Seminar

Lorenzo Sala

Junior Core Fellow at IAS CEU

Kant's Vocabulary and the Question of Non-conceptual Content

Wednesday, 3 February, 2021 11:00 a.m. CET – online

The question of whether Kant should be taken as a conceptualist or not has been debated intensely in Kantian scholarship. In my talk, I explore two different issues which reflect two main research-lines of my work. The question whether the contents of perception are conceptual or not originated outside of Kantian scholarship: my first aim is to consider the problems related to how this question has been translated into it. Indeed, at a closer look, it is unclear whether the way in which this question has been transposed in Kantian scholarship really does justice to the original problem. My second aim is to answer the question of whether Kant should be taken as a conceptualist or not. In particular, I aim to do so by providing a short argument for conceptualism, which hinges on the interpretation of two passages from the Transcendental Deduction in light of the Wolffian origin of the key terms used in them.

[cid:image002.png at 01D6F4D6.C0D71C70]

Image: Kant's own personal copy of A. G. Baumgarten's Metaphysica

Lorenzo Sala completed his PhD degree in Philosophy at the University of Pisa in 2019, with a thesis on Kant's theory of consciousness. In 2020, he was post-doctoral fellow at the Department of Philosophy of the Goethe Universität in Frankfurt, where he kept working on Kant's theoretical philosophy. Beyond his work on Kant, he has worked extensively on German Idealism and Early modern philosophy. His works have been published in various Italian and international journals, including Giornale di Metafisica, Australasian Philosophical Review and Hegel Jahrbuch.

RSVP Agnes Bendik at bendikag at ceu.edu<mailto:bendikag at ceu.edu>

AGNES BENDIK

Senior Administrative Officer

[cid:9a0d44e2-2789-47a3-9dd6-2ea22f03b6ee]

[cid:3efe1d1e-af35-4c40-8a4c-15190517d927]

OFFICE ADDRESS: Nador u.13., Fourth floor, Room 403 | 1051 Budapest, Hungary

MAILING ADDRESS: IAS CEU, Nádor u. 9. | 1051 Budapest, Hungary

PHONE: +36 1 327 3000/2596 | bendikag at ceu.edu<mailto:bendikag at ceu.edu>

www.ias.ceu.edu<http://www.ias.ceu.edu/> | www.facebook.com/iasceu/<http://www.facebook.com/iasceu/>