[MaFLA] CALL FOR PAPERS - Pragmatism and War

Alexander Kremer kremeralexander5 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 21:55:17 CET 2022

*CALL FOR PAPERS*

*Pragmatism and War*

The recent war in Ukraine has reminded Europe and all the West if a
reminder was ever needed, that the death and destruction of war are always
closer to home than you realize. Events we may have naively felt were parts
of the past---such as the war in Europe or the present danger of nuclear
war---have now resurfaced as inescapably real and genuine threats to
present-day life.

As a philosophical tradition, pragmatism aims to address our everyday
problems. Pragmatism has been before where we are now. There is a long and
instructive tradition of pragmatist philosophers confronting war, including
William James’ opposition to the American invasion of the Philippines, John
Dewey’s careful responses to both World Wars (especially World War I), and
W. E. B. Dubois’ uncovering of the daily war of white supremacists against
African Americans and others.

The Russian invasion of the Ukrainian nation, and the subsequent war in
Ukraine, virtually call for a response from all philosophies engaged in
life and the world. The present war demands a reaction from pragmatist
philosophy in particular.

*Pragmatism Today* invites paper submissions for an upcoming special issue
on the theme of “Pragmatism and War.” Any topic related to this theme will
be considered for publication. This includes papers on how past pragmatists
have responded to war (or some particular war) and analyzed it; and how
current pragmatist philosophers respond or should respond, either to any
fight or to some specific war in particular, like especially the war in
Ukraine, for example. Papers about what pragmatist philosophy might say
about our renewed fear of nuclear war and our experiencing again after many
years, the real threat of the world’s nuclear annihilation are also welcome.

The papers should be between *15-20 pages (6000-9000 words)*.

*The deadline* for paper submission *is March 15th, 2023*

*Please send papers* to Dr. Donald Morse (dmorse at webster.edu) and Dr.
Alexander Kremer (kremeralexander5 at gmail.com).

Decisions will be made by March 31st, 2023

The anticipated *publication date is July 1st, 2023*