[PhilPhys] seminaire FoundPhys, 21 novembre

GRINBAUM Alexei alexei.grinbaum at cea.fr
Wed Nov 12 11:58:42 CET 2008

Séminaire du projet ANR "FoundPhys: Fondements de la physique"

21 novembre 2008, 16h
Grande salle, IHPST, 13 rue du Four, Paris 75006

Christian de Ronde (Université de Bruxelles)

"The contextual character of modality in quantum mechanics: a formal and philosophical analysis"

The contextual character of actual properties in quantum mechanics has been investigated since the famous Kochen-Specker theorem (1967). In the context of modal interpretations, there are several no-go theorems on the limitations of modal interpretations (MI) in accounting for actual physical properties. Following previous papers in which we have derived a Modal Kochen-Specker theorem (Domenech, Freytes and de Ronde quant-ph/0612226 and quant-ph/0612227), we present a formal discussion regarding the meaning of the notion of possibility in the orthodox formalism of quantum mechanics. In this presentation we shall analyze the philosophical consequences which can be derived from these findings.