[PhilPhys] Postgraduate Study in HPS at the University of Leeds: Open Day, 10 February 2010

Juha Saatsi juha.saatsi at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 19 14:16:10 CET 2010

* POSTGRADUATE STUDY IN HPS** **AT LEEDS*

http://www.hps*.*leeds.ac.uk/ <http://www.hps.leeds.ac.uk/>

Those interested in postgraduate study in History and Philosophy of Science
or Philosophy at the University of Leeds are warmly invited to attend an
Open Day on the afternoon of Wednesday 10 February 2010.    (A number of
travel bursaries will be available for those visitors who have applied for
admission to our programmes).

*Find out about our MA courses in:*

History and Philosophy of Science

Science Communication

Philosophy (PhD track)

Philosophy of Religion

*Meet potential PhD supervisors in a wide range of research areas covering:*

History and Philosophy of Science

Philosophy

Applied Ethics

*Learn about our Research Centres:*

Centre for History and Philosophy of Science

Centre for Aesthetics

Centre for Ethics and Meta-Ethics

Centre for Metaphysics and Mind

*Learn about application procedures and funding options (up to 6 PhD
Studentships and at least 2 MA Studentships available). See http://www.hps
.leeds.ac.uk/News/studentships.htm for more information.*

*Meet our large and vibrant international community of graduate students.*

Registration is required, but free (and lunch is included). To register,
please contact Jenneke Stevens at j.m.stevens@ leeds.ac.uk.

For enquiries concerning the Open Day and postgraduate study in Philosophy
at Leeds, please contact Professor John Divers at j.divers at leeds.ac.uk.

The Department of Philosophy at Leeds is one of the largest in the UK. In
2010-11 it will be home to 25 permanent members of academic staff as well as
a further 10 or so associated academic members of staff (research fellows,
temporary lecturers and post-doctoral fellows).

The department has a dedicated research *Centre for History and Philosophy
of Science*, one of the longest-established centres of research and teaching
for history and philosophy of science in the UK.  Interests range widely
across the field of modern Western science since 1500, covering the history
of physical, biological and social sciences, social history of science,
philosophy and sociology of science and technology, philosophy of the social
sciences, history of medicine and philosophy of physics.

Philosophy at Leeds (including HPS) did extremely well in the recent RAE.
Overall, 65% of our research was rated "world class" or "internationally
excellent" (matching the percentages of leading UK philosophy departments
such as Oxford and Cambridge), and we were ranked third behind Oxford
Philosophy and Cambridge HPS in terms of 'research power'. The Department
continues to intensify and expand its research activity. We are particularly
highly rated in History of Science, Technology, and Medicine, Philosophy of
Science, Philosophy of Physics, Metaphysics, Aesthetics, and  Philosophy of
Action and have further substantial strengths in most areas of contemporary
analytic philosophy including: Ethics and Meta-Ethics, Philosophy of Logic,
Philosophy of Language, History of Philosophy, Philosophy of Mind and
Philosophy of Language.

Full information on the department: (members of staff, their research
interests, our graduate community and our research centres) see
http://www.philosophy.leeds.ac.uk/<https://outlook.leeds.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?C=6c2b0109c9f9401aa6640b247cecdb89&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.philosophy.leeds.ac.uk%2f>
.