[PhilPhys] Remembering Adolf Grunbaum (1923-2018)

Center for Philosophy of Science pittcntr at pitt.edu
Thu Nov 29 20:07:26 CET 2018

The Center for Philosophy of Science reports with great sadness that our colleague and founder Adolf Grünbaum died on November 15, 2018.

Adolf (1923-2018) was a leading philosopher of physics and his work on space and time are classics in the philosophy of physics. He is also famous for his defense of atheism and his criticism of psychoanalysis. He was hired by Pitt from Lehigh in 1960 as Andrew Mellon Professor of Philosophy; he built the Departments of Philosophy and History and Philosophy of Science. He then created the Center for Philosophy of Science (at the time "Philosophy of Science Program"). He remained the Director of the Center until 1978 before becoming its Chairman (and then its co-Chairman with Nick Rescher).

We have developed a memorial webpage in honor of Adolf. Please visit here for information and pictures. If you had an interaction with Adolf and wanted to share a comment or photo, feel free to send it electronically to pittcntr at pitt.edu.

We are forever grateful for Adolf’s contribution to the philosophy of science, the philosophy at Pitt, and the Center for Philosophy of Science.

Sincerely,

Edouard Machery, Director
pittcntr at pitt.edu

www.pitt.edu/~pittcntr<http://www.pitt.edu/~pittcntr>
[http://www.pitt.edu/~pittcntr/Images/header_photos/home.jpg]<http://www.pitt.edu/~pittcntr>

Center for Philosophy of Science ::: home<http://www.pitt.edu/~pittcntr>
www.pitt.edu
November 2018: What's new? Adolf Grünbaum 1923 - 2018. It is with great sadness we report that our colleague and founder Adolf Grünbaum died on November 15, 2018.