[PhilPhys] CfA: Biasing Mechanisms in Scientific Research (Deadline January 15th)

Leonie Wiemeyer | Leibniz Universität Hannover leonie.wiemeyer at philos.uni-hannover.de
Wed Jan 10 08:25:03 CET 2024

Dear colleagues,

I hope this message finds you well. Please see below for our call for
abstracts. We would be grateful if you could also forward it to any
interested colleagues.

Thank you and warm wishes for 2024,

Leonie Wiemeyer

CfA: Biasing Mechanisms in Scientific Research

Leibniz University Hannover

May 31^st – June 1^st , 2024

In the philosophy of science, recent work has led to an emerging
consensus that science is not value-free, and that values, including
social and political values, play different roles in the research
process. It has also become clear that, values can have both a positive
and a negative impact on science. Sometimes, values can contribute to
science’s epistemic and social goals, while other times, they can have a
detrimental effect on science’s epistemic goals, i.e., biasing research
results. With this framework in mind, the main goal of this workshop is
to clarify the negative roles of values in scientific research, and in
particular their sometimes-biasing effects. While it is well-known that
biases impact scientific research results, we have a less clear
understanding of the different types of biases, their mechanisms, and
their scope. Current invited speakers include:

  * Heather Douglas (Michigan State University)
  * Jacob Stegenga (University of Cambridge)
  * David Teira (Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia)
  * Anke Büter (Aarhus University)

We welcome submissions that seek to advance our understanding of
negative biases and their effects in scientific research. Questions that
might be addressed include (but are not limited to):

  * In which situations are biases most likely to occur?
  * Which mechanisms enable biases to interfere with scientific
    practice? Are these mechanisms intrinsic to scientific practices or
    can we debias scientific procedures to mitigate or eliminate them
    altogether?
  * What relationship(s) do biases have to values in science? Do
    negative biases have any special implications for the value-free ideal?
  * What relationship(s) do biases have to diversity in science?
  * How might we characterize ‘negative’ biases?
  * Are there different types of biases or biasing mechanisms in science?

This workshop is supported by the German Research Foundation (DFG), as a
part of the research project “A Philosophical Approach to Biasing
Mechanisms in Scientific Research” and the SOCRATES
<https://www.socrates.uni-hannover.de/en/> Centre for Advanced Studies.
Abstracts should be a maximum of 800 words, in English, and submitted by
January 15^th , 2024 at the latest. They can be submitted through the
following Google form: https://forms.gle/zhHsp9XaUGwAzKCU9. We aim to
give notifications of acceptance by mid to late February.

Any questions or inquiries can be sent to Jamie Shaw
(jamie.shaw at philos.uni-hannover.de).

Warm wishes,

Jamie Shaw, Manuela Fernandez-Pinto, and Torsten Wilholt (Organizing
Committee)

--
Dr. Leonie Wiemeyer (sie/she)
Koordinatorin | Coordinator

“SOCRATES – Social Credibility and Trustworthiness of Expert Knowledge and Science-Based Information”
DFG-Kollegforschungsgruppe (KFG) 43, Centre for Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences
Institut für Philosophie
Leibniz Universität Hannover
Lange Laube 32
30159 Hannover