[MaFLa] philosophy talk by Wayne Martin on`Ubi Inletabilitas ibi Virtus: Melancholy, Virtue and Self-Consciousness`- February 22nd, 4.30 PM

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.hu
Wed Feb 16 10:54:26 CET 2011

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Wayne Martin (University of Essex)
on
`Ubi Inletabilitas ibi Virtus:  Melancholy, Virtue and
Self-Consciousness`

Tuesday, 22 February, 2010, 4.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT
A 17th Century print by Giovanni Castiglione bears a motto:  Ubi
Inletabilitas ibi Virtus.  Its meaning is far from clear.   What is
inletabilitas?  What exactly is its relation to virtue?  To what broader
psychological theory and moral theory does the thought in the motto
belong?  I draw on a range of resources – from phenomenology, from art
history, from the ontology of Renaissance psychiatry – to propose and
explore an answer.  Inletabilitas, I argue, is a distinctive form of
melancholic self-consciousness.  It is associated closely with grief and
mourning, and with other forms of awareness in which one gains a
perspective on hermeneutic totalities.

 Kriszta Biber
Department Coordinator
Philosophy Department