[MaFLa] invitation to a talk on`The Word According to David Kaplan`by Zsofia Zvolenszky - 6 March, 5.30 PM in Zrinyi 14/412

Krisztina Biber biberk at ceu.hu
Wed Feb 29 07:41:45 CET 2012

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Zsofia Zvolenszky (ELTE, CEU)
on
`The Word According to David Kaplan`

Tuesday, 6 March, 2012, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT

We hear someone talk in English about a job, in German about der Job and
in French about le job. Are these performances of the same word or of
different words?  What is at stake in answering this question? How
should we individuate words?  David Kaplan (1990) proposed various
constraints on word individuation, which John Hawthorne and Ernest
Lepore (2011) criticized and revised. I will argue that relating words
and their performances (written or oral) to one another involves
considerably more complexity than what participants in the debate have
been recognizing. Via the added complexity, we can highlight some
crucial insights from Kaplan about intentions accompanying performances
of words.

Hawthorne, John and Ernest Lepore (2011). On Words. Forthcoming in
Journal of Philosophy.
Kaplan, David (1990). Words. Aristotelian society Supplementary Volume
64, 93–119.

Kriszta Biber
Department Coordinator
Philosophy Department