[MaFLa] invitation to a talk on`The Constitutive Value of Distributive Equality`by Ian Carter - 12 March, 5.30 PM

Krisztina Biber biberk at ceu.hu
Tue Mar 5 20:01:31 CET 2013

The CEU Department of Philosophy and the Department of Polirical Science cordially invite you to a talk
(as part of the Philosophy Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Ian Carter (University of Pavia)
on
`The Constitutive Value of Distributive Equality`

Tuesday, 12 March, 2013, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT

The debate over the value of distributive equality has mostly concerned attempts to argue for or against its intrinsic value. In this paper we argue against the intrinsic value of distributive equality but in favour of its "constitutive" value. Distributive equality has constitutive value because its occurrence is necessary for the justice of certain distributive outcomes. In the light of this account of the value of equality, we hope to show what is right and what is wrong in a number of alternative accounts, including those Raz, Kagan, Parfit, Frankfurt, Temkin and Christiano, as well as pointing out its implications for the relation between equality and responsibilty, and
for the so-called "levelling down" objection.