[MaFLa] invitation to a talk on`Ceteris Paribus Laws and Minutis Rectis Laws`by Luke Fenton-Glynn - Tuesday, 10 November, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

Krisztina Biber biberk at ceu.edu
Wed Nov 4 08:25:56 CET 2015

    The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
 (as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
 by
 Luke Fenton-Glynn (University College London)
 on
 Ceteris Paribus Laws and Minutis Rectis Laws

 Tuesday, 10 November 2015, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

 ABSTRACT

 Special science generalizations admit of exceptions. Among the class of non-exceptionless special science generalizations, I distinguish (what I will call) minutis rectis (mr) generalizations from the more familiar category of ceteris paribus (cp) generalizations. I argue that the challenges involved in showing that mr generalizations can play the law role are underappreciated, and quite di erent from those involved in showing that cp generalizations can do so. I outline some potential strategies for meeting the challenges posed by mr generalizations.

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator

Central European University