[MaFLa] 9th Budapest Visual Learning Conference rebooted

Kristof Nyiri nyirik at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 08:06:40 CEST 2020

Dear All, we know from Heraclitus that one can not step in the same river
twice. From Covid-19 we now begin to learn that one cannot even step in the
same river once. Professors Petra ACZÉL and András BENEDEK, the chief
organizers of the 9th Budapest Visual Learning Conference (2020, HOW IMAGES
BEHAVE – visual cognition/culture/education/learning – see
http://www.vll.bme.hu/en/9thvllconference/) have asked me to write this
circular. It is addressed to all confirmed and yet-to-be-confirmed
participants: to our plenary speakers; to applicants whose abstracts we
have already accepted; to applicants whose abstracts we have yet to review;
and also to those interested who have not applied, but now perhaps will
find that they can and will apply. To cut a long story short, it has by now
become clear to us that, having your safety in mind, and seeing our own
limits, we cannot organize the face-to-face dimension of the 9th Budapest
Visual Learning Conference. It will be a purely online conference. We hope
however to make this conference into an interesting and rewarding event.
Building on earlier experiences of the Department of Technical Education,
Budapest University of Technology and Economics, the idea is to create what
we designate as a Linked Video Microcontents Pre-Conference Material
(LIVMI). Confirmed participants will be asked to send us, by October 20 the
latest, a five-minutes video talk, along with a 4000 characters text which
should closely correspond to the talk. We will upload to the internet the
videos and the texts, establish dense links between each talk, and make
this linked ensemble publicly available well before the live online event,
which we envisage to happen on the 26th of November in the afternoon. After
the event, in the course of the first months of 2021, we will put together
an edited volume based on the conference (as to the availability of the
three VLC8 conference volumes, please see the postscript below).
          So what to do next? Those whose applications we have already
accepted, should please send me a confirmation that they are ready to
produce the video & text as described above. Those who have applied but
have not yet been notified as to acceptance yet, will receive notification
by September 15, 2020. We will ask them to similarly confirm their
readiness to send us a video & text. And those who are interested but have
not applied, say because travel & funding restrictions: please realize that
we are in a way starting from scratch, you have now both the possibility
and all the time in the world to send us an abstract. All the time in the
world means Sept. 6, 2020. This is our extended deadline. Please let us
have an abstract of max. 2000 characters (references included, they should
be *full* references, abridged if necessary, but please avoid the (author,
year) format), and a brief bio of max. 600 characters. Notifications as to
acceptance, to repeat, will be sent out by Sept. 15. We absolutely look
forward to new applications, we are determined to organize a spectacular
and scholarly rewarding conference. Write to me. Regards, Kristóf Nyíri

POSTSCRIPT: In the wake of the 8th Budapest Visual Learning Conference
(2018) we have published three volumes & and a post-conference leaflet.
They are uploaded at
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/329715355_Vision_Fulfilled,
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331895076_Learning_and_Technology_in_Historical_Perspective
,
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333972715_Image_and_Metaphor_in_the_New_Century_June_24_2019,
and
https://www.academia.edu/40167534/Visual_Learning_--_A_Year_After. The
volumes are very successful: no day passes without someone downloading
them. To contributors of the three volumes we have sent physical copies,
our impression however is that not everyone has received them. If you are a
contributor but have not received your copy, please alert me, and send me
your postal address. If you are not a contributor, but are interested in
receiving copies, please send me a mail. Thanks, Kristóf Nyíri

J. C. NYÍRI, PhD, Dr. h.c.
Professor of Philosophy
Member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences
https://mta.academia.edu/KristofNyiri
www.hunfi.hu/nyiri